
While I was training for my marathon my 58 year old father challenged me to a 2 mile race. Since I was running an average of thirty miles a week, I said, "bring it on!" Well, my marathon came and went and it was all downhill from there. I didn't train much for the next month and a half so I was getting really nervous. My dad might look a little goofy, but he strong, fit, and a serious threat. My little sister and brother joined the race and I didn't know what they were capable of. My only comfort was that my dad claimed that the fastest he had run the two miles was 18 minutes and a half minutes. Yeah right Dad!Race day came and we all put our entry fees in a jar. The $26 would be awarded to the winner at the end of the race. We drove to the lake and the race began. I immediately found myself going faster than I wanted, but my dad was right behind me so I couldn't slow down. We made it once around the Lake, and I kept waiting for the steps behind me to fade away. They never did so I gave it all I had for the last tenth of a mile. Luckily my dad didn't have much left, so I came in six seconds in front of him with the clock reading 14 minutes and 13 seconds. Shawn and Cynthia finished the race in just over 17 minutes and then the three of them awarded me the money. My dad is amazing and I hope I am in the shape he is in when I am his age.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment