School Lunches

Today Chase had a field trip at the zoo, and he was so excited. He went to bed early so morning would come faster, and he woke up early so he wouldn’t be late. He actually woke up earlier today than he did for Christmas. Chase just couldn't stop talking about how he was going to school at the same time as the big kids, and how he was going to take a lunch to school. He said, "I look like a first grader, I am going to school at the same time as the first graders, and I get to take a lunch like the first graders, but I'm only in kindergarten. Wierd!" It was so cute.

Chase wasn't the only one that was excited. Today might have been his first day going to school early, but it was the first time I got to pack a lunch for one of my kids. I was just as excited as he was. I remember when I was a girl how much I loved getting little notes from my mom in my lunch. I couldn't wait to do this for Chase. I am such a nerd, but I have been thinking about it since last week. Things like, "What should I pack? Should I surprise him with one of his favorites? What should I write on his note?" I know what you are thinking. She is crazy! It's just a lunch. I know that, but I just love making my kids happy and I love it when they get excited about something. I ended up getting him his favorite which is a lunchable.

Well, I guess that's not entirely true. I wanted to get him a lunchable, so I called Rob last night to have him stop by and get a lunchable for Chase's lunch. He didn't answer and by the time he got home from bishopric meeting it was after 10:00p.m. I was really dissapointed. I knew we couldn't get it in the morning becuase Rob was leaving for the temple at 5:30a.m. and I had the kids. My dreams of surprising Chase with his favorite were gone. But then, I woke up to Tyler standing next to my bed, asking, "Can I have this?" It was dark so I thought it was a juice box. I took it so I could open it for him, and I realized it was a lunchable. Rob must have gotten up at 5:00a.m. or earlier and gone to the store and bought it for me. I couldn't believe it. I love it when Rob makes my day like that. I was so excited. I went down and made Chase's lunch with his lunchable and some of his other favorites. I put a little note in it, and gave it to Chase. I just wish I could be there when he opens it.

I know I am crazy, but honestly, how much longer is something so simple going to make him so happy? It's these little things that I get to do that make my job as a mother the best job in the world.

3 comments:

oh, how fun!! rob you're in the running for dad of the year with gettin' up at 5 a.m. to get him a lunchable! kim, your note was adorable!

April 28, 2010 3:35 PM  

Not nerdy AT ALL!! I still love to make their lunches (well, okay some mornings it's taxing) but usually -- and when I know they are struggling or just need a pick me up -- that note is the BEST! Even my 4th grader thinks it's cool -- I just have to be careful what I write.:)

Good job guys!

April 29, 2010 9:08 AM  

You're such a cute mom!! We miss hanging out with you. I am due with my baby any day now. We are so excited. I hope you are doing well.

May 03, 2010 12:00 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home